If you are experiencing online bullying, abuse or harassment you can contact Netsafe for help and advice no matter what your situation is.
What advice can Netsafe offer?
We can give you free confidential advice seven days a week. We can talk to you about your experience and tell you if there’s anything you can do to stop the abuse and stay safe.
We can also look into what’s happening and even work with you and the person harassing you to get them to stop. We may also contact online content hosts like Facebook and Twitter to ask them to block or remove harmful digital communications.
We will not take any action without your permission though.
If you’re not quite ready to talk to us check out these articles for help. <link to HDC page>
If you are concerned about the immediate safety of you or someone else, call 111.
What does online bullying and online harassment look like?
It can take many form and can be private messages or content that others can see. It may include:
- Abusive texts and emails
- Hurtful messages, images, videos or blog post or
- Harassment via social media or mobile apps.
I am being harassed or bullied online – what can I do?
There are a few things you can do:
- Try to stay calm
- If you are concerned about your immediate safety, call the Police
- Think about talking to an adult you feel comfortable with. This could be a parent, teacher or relative
- Collect evidence of the abuse
- Report the abuse to the website or smartphone app the bullying or harassment happened on. Look out for a “Report Abuse” button or “Safety” link
- Consider blocking the bullying messages
- Contact Netsafe for advice and assistance
What can I do to prevent online bullying and harassment?
- Use privacy settings to protect what you publish online
- Don’t give anyone your password
- Log out when you finish using a site on a shared device
- Be careful about what you post online because soon as its live you can lose control of it
- Don’t give in to blackmail as the situation will only get worse.
More advice and information
- Contact Netsafe by filling out an online contact form or call us toll-free seven days a week on 0508 NETSAFE
- Online bullying – what is it and what you can do about it
- Netsafe’s online bullying, abuse and harassment service
- Check out Netsafe’s advice for young people