If the original Deck the Halls was written in a digital age, we think it would go a bit like this!
As we recognise this time of year can be stressful we want to remind you that no matter what happens online, Netsafe can help. We’re available seven days a week – except Christmas Day.
Netsafe’s take on Deck the Halls
Our talented team of online safety experts have put their heads together to come up with their best online safety tips to help you this holiday season.
Our song goes like this:
“When you’ve broken the Bublé cassette
At least we’ve got the internet
The kids are browsing the online sales
Nan’s watching vids of the Prince of Wales
Granddad’s on TikTok despite the weather
Video calls bring us all together
And our advice goes like that:
- The internet: People are sharing and submitting content – sometimes without thinking through what this means for their digital footprint. Find out how to protect your identity before posting your next selfie.From buying groceries to organising get togethers – being online is a big part of how we live. Netsafe’s Staying Safe Online Guide helps everyone have better online experiences across many different platforms.
- Online sales: The last thing anyone wants is a dud deal, products that never show up, or credit card details in the wrong hands. With a bit of know-how and planning, you can be safer when shopping online.
- Watching Vids: Live streaming is becoming more popular as it provides people with the opportunity to follow people they like or who have a similar interest like the Prince of Wales. As live streams aren’t as passive as other types of video content online, it’s worth checking out our quick guide before you get started.You might also see the Prince of Wales watching Netflix. They’ve got safety and parental control tools to help members make decisions that best suit their household so it doesn’t matter whether someone is watching The Crown or The Wiggles. The experts at Netflix have provided us with their tips for using their service, and what you can do if you encounter a problem.
- TikTok: This has been one of the most popular apps this year. We’ve put together some tips to help you understand more.
- Video calls: With travel plans looking a bit different this year, more people will be relying on video calls to stay connected to whanau and friends near and far. There’s dozens of video calling services that are free, easy to use and lets you talk right from your phone or computer. We’ve explained what they are, outlined the risks and provided our tips to help you stay safe while doing it. Have a read and then get started.
For more of Netsafe’s advice on all sorts of topics including scams, digital parenting and much more, take some time to explore our website. You can also join our mailing list or follow ‘NetsafeNZ’ on social media to get the latest news, trends and advice.
CONTACT NETSAFE FOR HELP
We’re open everyday except Christmas Day 🎄 You can make a report or get help by:
- Text ‘Netsafe’ to 4282
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone toll free on 0508 638 723
- Online report form at netsafe.org.nz/report