On 10-11 October 2018 Netsafe and the Australian Office of the eSafety Commissioner co-hosted The Crossroads 2018 Trans-Tasman Online Safety Conference. The theme of the conference was The Crossroads: Where online safety, education, entertainment, regulation, enforcement, technology and wellbeing intersect.
The Crossroads brought together over 200 delegates from New Zealand, Australia and around the world with representation from a wide range of sectors including online content creators, education, government, law enforcement and industry.
During the event, discussions were held around the latest online safety research, trends, challenges and approaches. The post-conference statement provides an overview of the key themes discussed and recommendations, that if implemented, will enhance online safety and digital resilience. The statement covers four key themes of the conference, along with six future directions.
- Online abuse and harassment have a wider impact than previously thought
- Online challenges are always emerging
- The online safety community is working hard to improve the online experience
- The online safety experience is not the same for everyone
- Keep online safety interventions human-centred
- Strengthen partnerships by moving beyond traditional collaboration
- Continue to research online safety
- Develop more participatory practices
- Boost advocacy for legislative and policy setting for the digital age
- Remain connected to the online ecosystem
The theme for the Netsafe and the Australian Office of the eSafety Commissioner’s 2019 Trans-Tasman online safety conference is Ideas that Illuminate. The 2019 conference will be held in Sydney, Australia from 11-13 September 2019. Register your interest for the 2019 conference today to keep up with conference updates.
Become a Netsafe member
Netsafe is an incorporated society with members from across the country. Our members represent organisations with an interest in building confidence in using digital technology. Becoming a Netsafe member is free and gives you and your organisation an opportunity to contribute to advancing online safety in New Zealand. Netsafe members receive discounted tickets to Netsafe events and early access to Netsafe quarterly reports around reporting trends. Learn more about becoming a member of Netsafe.