The first round of Netsafe’s Online Safety Partnership Grant is now closed. Applications for the next round will open mid-2017.
The new grant scheme has been designed to provide financial support to research, projects and service initiatives that relate to harmful digital communications and ultimately creates a better online experience.
To understand more about Netsafe’s Online Safety Partnership Grant check out the FAQs below:
- What will Netsafe fund?
Netsafe is looking to fund ideas that:
1. Foster innovation and new ideas that aim to prevent and deter the impact of online bullying, harassment, revenge pornography and other forms of abuse and intimidation
2. Assist in enhancing and extending the reach and effectiveness of existing initiatives.
- How much funding will Netsafe provide?
The grants are for a maximum amount of $50, 000 per round – applicants must match Netsafe’s contribution either financially or by in-kind support.
- Who can apply for a grant?
Funding is available to individuals, groups or organisations.
- Where does the money come from?
The Ministry of Justice has provided the funding as part of their support of Netsafe’s service to receive, assess and investigate complaints under the Harmful Digital Communication Act.
- Is there a time limit to using the grant?
Grant recipients will be given six months to execute their ideas and report back to Netsafe. Any unspent funds must be returned unless an extension has been sought and approved by Netsafe’s Online Safety Partnership Grant Committee.
- How will grants be assessed?
Netsafe’s Online Safety Partnership Grant Committee will assess each application based on the following criteria:
1. Priority is given to organisations/individuals located in New Zealand
2. The initiative integrates the key principles of the Treaty of Waitangi including partnerships and participation
3. The initiative promotes the positive use of technology
4. The initiative helps people manage and reduce the risk of harm from harmful digital communication
5. The initiative benefits New Zealand internet users
6. Legal documentation provided by applicants satisfies Netsafe’s due diligence checking.
- Is there anything Netsafe will not fund?
Netsafe will not fund:
• Retrospective grants
• Political organisations
• Fundraising dinners or events
• Capital building projects
• Debt reduction requests
• Property rental or lease payments.