The Kik Messenger app – ‘Kik’ – is available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone operating systems and lets you connect with friends through chat.
Messages, photos, videos and other content can be sent via a smartphone data plan or over Wi-Fi to other account holders via their username. Kik users remain anonymous and the service does not record content transmitted between users.
Children under the age of 13 are prohibited from having a Kik account, by the Kik Terms of Service. Teens between 13 and 18 years old need to have permission from their parent or legal guardian before they create a Kik account and start using the app.
The Kik Help Center includes a ‘Contact Us’ link for users to submit a support ticket to the company for assistance.
The company provides the following top tips for staying safe on Kik:
- Share your username and Kik Code with people you know and trust.
- Take control over who you want to talk to with our New People feature.
- Block messages from anyone you don’t want to talk to.
- It’s best to only click links if you trust them. (We’ll show you a warning message if you click a link we think is spam.)
- Keep your password a secret – even from your BFF.
- Speaking of passwords: choose one that includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. It’s just better that way.
- It’s best not to share your personal info (like your address or your phone number) with people you meet online.
Getting help with Kik
The Canadian company provides an online Help Center for users.
Kik users can block and report another user directly from the messages that have been sent to them. There is further advice online on ways to block other users.
When a new user messages you on Kik there are also ways to Delete, Block, or Report as Spam.
As messages sent between users cannot be accessed by the company, it is important that you take screenshots of any concerning messages before blocking the unwanted user.
Reporting issues on Kik
Kik users can report spam messages from the chat directly on the app.
To report other issues, users can submit a support ticket online through the Help Center. Note that it may take some time before you receive a reply.
If you experience serious issues or need urgent assistance, you can also contact NetSafe staff for help. It’s important that you include the Kik account username and screenshots of any messages being received. Note that if messages have been deleted from a device that Kik cannot recover the content.