Netsafe’s Digital Safety Management Plan (DSMP) helps guide schools in the safe and responsible use of digital technology and online platforms used in the learning environment.
Schools including kura can decide how the DSMP template could be used within their context. This could include using the template as a checklist around safe practice or adapting it to support processes and procedures already in place.
It highlights key aspects including:
- the purpose of the online platform or digital tool for learning
- the rights and responsibilities of all users
- any potential issues or risks to be considered, minimised, or managed
- clear communication with the wider school community
- transparency and safeguarding of account details and login / passwords etc.
- awareness of responsibilities as ‘Online Hosts’ under the Harmful Digital Communications Act 2015 (HDC Act)
Student User Agreements provide guidance around responsible and respectful behaviour when using digital technology and online environments and schools need to provide on-going opportunities for students to learn about safety and ethical use.
For more information and guidance around the safe and responsible use of digital technologies in schools, refer to the Ministry of Education’s Digital Technologies: Safe and Responsible Use in Schools Guide.