Netsafe Schools is a free programme designed to help New Zealand schools and kura establish, develop and promote online safety, citizenship and wellbeing in their school community. The programme has three tiers that represent stages in the development of online safety practices. The tiers are:
- Beginning / Te Kākano: Committed to creating a safer online learning environment.
- Growing / Tipu ma toro: Demonstrates a pro-active approach to online safety, citizenship and wellbeing initiatives.
- Mature / Te Puāwaitanga: Meets the Growing – Tipu ma toro expectations and shares their practices to help other schools and kura.
There are now nearly 300 schools accredited across the country! To become a Netsafe School, a school just needs to complete a Netsafe Schools Review.
Our programme has been guided by research to empower schools with the knowledge and capability to create a safe online environment for their students, whānau, staff and boards.
Te piko o te māhuri, tērā te tupu o te rākau – The way in which the young sapling is nurtured (bent), determines how the tree will grow:
- Te Kākano- The seedling, nurtured, loved and cared for.
- Tipu ma toro- From the seed, it grows and prospers.
- Te Puāwaitanga- It blooms, flourishes and displays its strength in its maturity.
We acknowledge the support to develop our tiers with the whakatauakī and Te Reo that captured the process of growth with Kura:
Te Ara Whānui
Kura Kaupapa Māori
o ngā Kōhanga Reo
o Te Awa Kairangi