Online games are a great way to relax and have fun, but just like any hobby there are some risks that are worth thinking about. We’ve put together some tips about things to look out for and ideas for staying safe while you play.
Things to watch out for:
Playing games can be a lot of fun. But sometimes things people do on games could make you feel uncomfortable or upset. It’s a good idea to be aware of some of the risks so you can help keep yourself safe while you play.
- Sometimes other gamers can say nasty things or try to bully or upset you. Make sure you know how to block & report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable and if you need help make sure you speak to someone about it.
- Lots of people play games, so some of the people you might be playing with could be older than you or even adults. Remember to be aware and tell your parents or a teacher if you feel upset or uncomfortable about what someone is saying to you.
- If anyone asks you to share your password or any personal information with them, don’t send it.
- Some games have content that might upset you – if you see something that makes you feel upset turn off the game and speak to an adult you trust.
- Some people find it hard to stop playing – make sure you spend time with friends and family.
Reporting & blocking
Lots of games allow players to talk to one another while they play. This can be a fun way to play with other gamers, however sometimes some players use the chat function to say mean things or try to upset other players.
Before you start playing, check how to report, block or mute other players in case someone says something nasty or inappropriate.
If someone says something to you that upsets you or makes you feel uncomfortable speak to a parent or another trusted adult about it.
It’s normal to feel competitive when playing games, but remember that there’s nothing wrong with losing. It’s important that you respect other players and don’t upset anyone in order to get ahead.
If you or someone you know needs help or advice about something that’s happened online, you can contact us seven days a week.
- Text ‘Netsafe’ to 4282
- Fill out an online contact form
- Email email@example.com
- Call us free phone on 0508 NETSAFE (0508 638 723).
Our contact centre is open 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am – 5pm on weekends and public holidays.
If you’re concerned about the immediate safety of you or someone else, call 111.