Need help with online bullying? We can help. If you’re experiencing online bullying, abuse or harassment you can contact Netsafe for help and advice – no matter what your situation is.
How can Netsafe help?
We can give you free confidential advice seven days a week. We’ll talk to you about your experience and tell you if there’s anything you can do to stop the abuse and stay safe.
We can also look into what’s happening and work with you and the person harassing you to get them to stop – but we won’t do this unless you say it’s OK. We may also contact online content hosts like Facebook and Twitter to ask them to block or remove harmful content.
If you’re not quite ready to talk to us check out these articles for help.
If you’re concerned about the immediate safety of you or someone else, call 111.
What does online bullying and online harassment look like?
Online bullying and harassment can happen in lots of different ways. It can be private messages, or public posts and content that other people can see.
It may include
- abusive texts and emails
- hurtful messages, images, videos or blog posts
- harassment via social media or mobile apps
I’m being harassed or bullied online what can I do?
There are a few things you can do
- Try to stay calm.
- If you’re concerned about your immediate safety, call the Police.
- Think about talking to an adult you feel comfortable with. This could be a parent, teacher or relative.
- Collect evidence of the abuse.
- Report the abuse to the website or app the bullying or harassment happened on. Look out for a “Report Abuse” button or “Safety” link.
- Block the bullying messages.
- Contact Netsafe for advice and assistance.
What can I do to prevent online bullying and harassment?
- Use privacy settings to protect what you publish online.
- Don’t give anyone your password.
- Log out when you finish using a site on a shared device.
- Be careful about what you post online because soon as its live you can lose control of it.
- Don’t give in to blackmail as the situation will only get worse.
More advice and information
- Contact Netsafe by completing an online contact form or call us toll-free seven days a week on 0508 NETSAFE
- Online bullying – what is it and what you can do about it
- Netsafe’s online bullying, abuse and harassment service
- Check out Netsafe’s resources for young people